The Writers' Nest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 44 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:24 pm
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» The Tulip Staircase Ghost
Beer Flood I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 10:08 pm by Pollie Cher

» The Headless Chicken
Beer Flood I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 10:05 pm by Pollie Cher

» Beer Flood
Beer Flood I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 10:03 pm by Pollie Cher

» Rankings...
Beer Flood I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 8:49 pm by Pollie Cher

» OBEY the Rules
Beer Flood I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 7:34 pm by Pollie Cher

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Top posters
Pollie Cher (9)
Beer Flood I_vote_lcapBeer Flood I_voting_barBeer Flood I_vote_rcap 

Top posting users this month
No user

Top posting users this week
No user

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Poll

Beer Flood

Go down

Beer Flood Empty Beer Flood

Post by Pollie Cher Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:03 pm

Beer Flood Molasses

On October 17, 1814, over 100 years before the Boston Molasses Flood, a very unfortunate beer-related incident occurred in London. A huge vat which held over 135,000 gallons of fermenting beer succumbed to the wounds of age, and let its bounty loose with explosive force. The impact caused several other vats in the same building to rupture, and almost instantly the combined 323,000+ gallons of ale crashed through the brick structure and poured into the London parish of St. Giles, a slum area.
The impact of this massive wave of beer was disastrous. Men and women were caught in the wave, tossed against walls and buried in debris. The beer completely destroyed two homes, and flooded many others. A wall at a nearby pub crumbled under the force, burying a barmaid there for several hours. Nine people were killed by the drink that day, all but one due to drowning. The ninth died of alcohol poisoning. Most of the victims were poor individuals who either lost their lives, or everything they owned.

Soon after the flood, survivors rushed in to save what they could of the precious ale, collecting it in pots, cans, and kettles. Some simply used their cupped hands to lap up the tepid pools of dirty beer.

It took weeks for the stink of beer to completely fade from the area. The brewery was later taken to court over the accident, but the entire event was determined to be an "Act of God" by the judge and jury, leaving no one responsible.
Pollie Cher
Pollie Cher
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Name: Sperling
Race: Human

https://thewritersnest.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum